Thursday, January 11, 2007

Unofficial 24 Page "Best Of" Clips #3 -- Tony's Death

Well, I'm glad to see people are excited to see the choices. Basically, that's the reason I did this -- we're all so hungry for some 24 action and the jumpy-cam previews and promos don't tell us much... so here we are.

One thing I'd like to say at this point as we move into the top 3 on the Unofficial 24 Page "Best of" countdown... these are simply six scenes that I know I've loved during the run of 24. Will you all agree with them? Unquestionably, no, you will not. And that's totally okay. This is a show with so many great scenes each season that it'd truly be impossible to come up with a top 6 we all agreed upon. If you read me often, you know that almost every episode has a scene that I find to be a defining one and that I just go on and on about. I was just going to name off a bunch that come to mind as I write this but then that'll tip you off to which ones are not included in the top 3. So let's just get on with it. Number 3 on this list is the very sad -- and controversial -- death of Tony Almeida.




Now, let's get a few things out of the way. Number 1, yes, I was pissed off, too, when Tony was killed off. Many of us were irritated that he was brought back for Season Five and given little role and simply used as a plot device. Tony's death appeared to bring us nothing and was simply a cheap way to shock us by a show that, one might claim, is running out of ways to shock us.

But let's look at it a little more closely. What does Tony's death do? Well, nothing to Michelle since she's already dead. What it does to Jack, however, is break the man even more. Jack has few friends he can trust. He has no family left; even though we know Kim loves him, we see her herself say that she cannot be around him. His wife's dead, Walsh is dead, Kim doesn't want to see him, Nina was a lie, Mason is dead, he cut off Chase's hand... the list goes on and on. Who does he truly have as a friend and trustworthy ally anymore? Chloe, probably, and maybe Bill or Curtis? But are either of those two men the friend and ally that Tony was? Jack and Tony went through so much together, from mistrust in Season One to complete trust at the end of One and beginning of Two... to a showdown in the hallway where Jack took Tony down in order to get out of CTU... to Tony saving Jack and Audrey's lives.

Jack had a role in bringing Tony back from the edge in Season Four. And might that not have actually given Jack a good feeling for the first time in many, many years? That he might have actually improved someone's life instead of ruining it? Yes, I think it might have. And I think that he was touched that they helped him stage his own death for his safety and you just know that Jack knew that Tony and Michelle were out of harm's way and doing their own private work.

He also knew that Tony had survived the gas being released in CTU, he'd survived a man coming to kill him in the clinic... he'd survived Mandy last season and he'd survived dealing with Nina many times over the years. And now, at the hands of Christopher Henderson, Tony was dying.

What gets me most about this scene are two things: one, Tony's clear acceptance that it's time to die. He realizes pretty quickly that he's been bested by Henderson and that he's off his game -- and who wouldn't be after what he's been through at this point? And when Jack comes to him and pleads with Tony to hang on, Tony's last, weak words are just so.... sad. "She's gone, Jack."

I mean, if that doesn't cut through you and explain what love really is, then I'm not sure what would. And the second thing about this ending is Jack's panicked reaction. Not since his wife died have we seen Jack so unhinged and upset about a death. He holds Tony close and cradles his head, clearly feeling helpless. And when Tony is really gone, Jack's face contorts into crying I don't think we've seen before. I wax poetic about the acting on this show all the time but, man, this was good stuff.

So there you go... "best of" #3.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave T said...

Another brilliant aspect of this scene is touched on in those final words: "She's gone, Jack." This highlights that, though Jack and Tony are among the best 1-2 team in recent TV history, there are distinct differences between them. Without Michelle, Tony doesn't even really want to go on (it's worth remembering that Tony was willing to compromise missions in order to try and save Michelle). Jack has been soldiering on even though his wife was killed way back in Season One. Tony is clearly an empty shell now with no will to continue. Jack is also an empty shell but his compulsion to carry on just can't be quelled...

This is a great idea, J, and I'm really glad you're doing this instead of me. Because you know I'd just post the scenes of Kim and her underwear...

11:35 AM  
Blogger 2yyiam said...

A truly well acted but pointless scene. It was such a slap in the face for the character of Tony. If he had to die, he surely deserved a better death, even Chapelle got a better death.
The arguements will continue to rage, but ur right that the only time Jack has cried has been over the deaths of his wife and Tony.
As a sort of form of flattery for u, I've also started a top 5 of my own on my blog at www.notagp.blogspot.com. Not wishing to steal ur thunder, it's a bit different.
Today was the top 5 most absurd moments on 24 and tomorrow will be the top 5 Jack Bauer moments. Check it out if u get a chance!
PS. Where do u get all the clips from on YouTube?

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is actually the worst Tony scene ever, and I think one of the lamest scenes in the history of the show. Horrible choice on your part. This scene did nothing to advance the plot, and it was very rushed. I agree with 2yyiam--slap in the face to the character AND to us.

I was hoping you'd do better than this, dude.

And again, where the hell is a Michelle scene? You could have at least included one that highlighted both Tony and Michelle (there are many to choose from).

12:53 PM  
Blogger J Money said...

Anonymous poster -- Opinions are like assholes; everyone's got one. Sorry (I guess) that you don't like my choices. As I said, right up front, I don't expect everyone to agree.

2yyiam -- Thanks for the comments... and I enjoyed your top 5 most ludicrous and definitely agree.

D - How goes it? Long time, no communicado. Doing WW myself now...

2:50 PM  
Blogger Dave T said...

Have you checked this out? Get your orders in now! (I'm lucky -- I have a 6-year old son so I can say it's for him...)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2007-01-10-24-action-figure_x.htm

3:34 PM  
Blogger Phoenician said...

I've said plenty about Tony and Tony's death over the year(s). So I'm not really that keen to reinterate it all AGAIN.

But I do agree, J. While I was miffed that Tony was denied his Silent Clock, I DID move on much more quickly when I noticed that ONLY Tony and Teri's deaths broke down Jack to a pulp.

Being such a longtime fan, I think that WAS the creator's more subtle tribute to Tony. While, many of us know that Tony should have been better treated in Day V, you can't deny that yes, Tony WAS an empty shell, more of a loose canon than Jack ever was.

Chappelle, Mason, and Driscoll all called Jack a major liabilty. In reality he isn't: He's pretty darn predictable. Though you don't always know WHAT'S he gonna do, but like Nina said in Day III: "You'd do ANYTHING for your country."

Tony on the other hand was always the Dark Horse. And its for that reason why I loved the man so much -- that and that eerie kinship both he and Jack had, best said by Tony and Audrey in Day IV:

T: "To tell you the truth, I was kind of surprised to hear Jack had taken a Desk Job."
A: (paraphrase) "You think he'd want to stay on the field like H*ll??"
T: "Some people are more comfortable in H*ll."

Not my favorite moment of 24, J, but it s a great clip of a man that we all loved!

On to #2!!

Oh, and hi, D!!

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home