Friday, March 02, 2007

Season 6; Hour Eleven (4:00PM - 5:00PM)

Air Date: 26 Feb 2007
Reviewer: J

Hour Eleven; The Return of Logan.

Only it wasn’t nearly that exciting. We pick up with Gredenko being evil at some airplane area and seething about how the Arabs and the West will destroy each other. I’m not really sure that’s true. In fact, I think it’s a lot more likely that if the “Arabs and the West” truly went to war, there’d be something of a scorched Earth policy in place akin to what I described a few reviews back. That is, we’d scorch their Earth. But that’s neither here nor there. Gredenko is a Russian villain straight out of 1985. I’m bored with him.

What we do know is that Logan is back in the mix. He’s confined to his retreat in “Hidden Valley” California, the place we referred to last season as “Camp David Palmer.” It’s almost jarring to see the images from the retreat and the white, split-rail fence and the stables where Martha hid last year from Aaron. Speaking of Aaron, I hope he’s not still assigned to this post. And on the subject of Aaron, if it came out how Logan had planned to have Aaron killed, I wonder how eager the current Secret Service men will be to throw themselves in front of bullets for the deposed President. All questions that will have to be answered another time or, more likely, never.

We learn that the President somehow brokered a deal where he was never publicly exposed as the traitor and murderer that he kind of was. The public doesn’t know that he was involved with terrorists or the nerve gas or any of that. Which makes me wonder how his removal from office was explained. I did like how Jack learned about this and was more than a little bit pissed off… what’s neat is that because we don’t see much of what goes on between seasons, we’re learning the current situations just as Jack is.

At Camp David Palmer, Jack and Logan have an interesting exchange, during which I remembered how much I loved having Greg Itzin’s acting on the show. He really makes Logan Logan and I was enjoying him immediately, even if the need for him on this season is kind of contrived.

I enjoyed Jack smirking at Logan when Logan said he just wanted to help them with their investigation along with his “I’m listening.” I also like that they’re doing their best to tie this season into last season. Graem, Gredenko, Logan, Phillip Bauer… all supposedly connected to last season’s plot. Graem and Logan are really the bridge to it and the writers are doing a good job of cobbling it together as they go. Because you know they are.

Logan explains that the Russian Consul General, a Russky named Markov, is connected to Gredenko and that Logan can exploit him because of his involvement in the conspiracy last season. Logan didn’t give him up so he expects to use this against Makov. Frankly, to save his own ass, I have a hard time imagining Logan not giving people up freely, but then I harken back to last year when Charles was ready to commit suicide in order to protect Graem and others in the Bluetooth Gang. So maybe Charles is indeed deeper than the nearest puddle.

Jack doesn’t like where this is headed but agrees to talk to Wayne about things. Wayne has to grant the temporary furlough for Logan and obviously has some reservations about doing so. The phone exchange between Logan and Wayne was one of the chill moments of the season, I thought. Logan reminds Wayne – and all of us – about two seasons ago when David Palmer came to the bunker to help out the floundering Logan. And Wayne points out that he repaid that help by having David killed. Logan claims to only want to help the situation and to help Wayne’s Presidency much like David helped his. This rings bit hollow to Wayne (and everyone else with a heart and brain) but Wayne grants the brief release. Which makes me wonder who the hell agree to this sequestering of Logan in the first place. It couldn’t possibly be Wayne, who must have wanted Logan in a jail cell.

In our current round-and-round-we-go plot, Morris is still fighting the urge to get hammered at work. Morris, I feel you, man. Chloe does some snooping and calls his AA sponsor, who turns out to be the wrong one, she storms in on Morris taking a deuce in the mens’s room…blah blah blah. Morris manages to defend himself but then dumps out his whiskey bottle. So he was hitting the bottle? He wasn’t? He was about to? I can’t quite tell. What we can tell is that Nadia thinks Morris is a liability but Bill agrees to keep Morris on his tasks – for now. After all, Nadia has restrictions because she’s got a middle eastern background, Milo has a hole in his arm and Chloe is…well, Chloe. So who the hell else is going to do Morris’ tasks? One of these extras milling around?

At the bunker, the WASPY Carson (“Bruce” Carson, according to the Fox Website) is apparently also good at assembling bombs. What is he, exactly? A policy advisor who is a quick stuffy at building bombs out of tape recorders and highlighters? I’d say he’s more MacGuyver than policy wonk. Or maybe he’s both. Maybe we should put Carson on a ballot. In addition to his practical skills, he’s got helmet hair and is dashingly, Duke-lacrosse-team handsome. Heh.

Tom Lennox is chained to a pole in a rather compromised position for a chief of staff. Wayne keeps asking about Lennox’s whereabouts and Reed keeps running interference. You’d think this would eventually alert someone that there’s an issue. Like, oh, I don’t know, the Secret Service agent whom Tom called and said he HAD to see him. I mean, I know that missive was cancelled but still.

Carson, cold-blooded Washington insider that he is, wants to kill Lennox and make it look like a suicide. Reed defends Lennox and tries to persuade Carson not to do this since he thinks they can get Lennox to come around once the VP is in power. Wait, did someone hit Reed in the head with a Maglite, too? What does Tom have to do to prove he’s going to rat them out? Shit, Reed, you can’t really still be hoping for a reference, can you?

Carson and Reed talk some more about being patriots throughout this episode. Wait, they play for the New England Patriots? I’m not sure tom Brady would approve of this President-killing nonsense. Wait, he means the other kind of patriots. The kinds that will kill the US President in a demonstration of their patriotism. Oh, those kinds.

Reed is having clear hangups about killing the President and possibly killing Tom, which means to me that he’s not long for this world. But we’ll see. He does regain his resolve enough to get into the press briefing room and plant the tape recorder bomb in the podium. I did like Tom’s slight look of “What the hell’s he doing there?” as he entered the room and saw Reed behind the podium looking shifty. Naturally, the Secret Service looked into this. Only they didn’t.

Poor Assad, who’s being set up to take the blame for all of this and just a few hours ago was operating quietly at his house in L.A., has a nice moment with Wayne where the two appear to be forming a bond. Of course they are. Because one of them’s about to die.

This episode was notable for the limited amount of Jack it contained. After his initial convo with Logan and then Wayne, Jack spent the rest of the hour at Camp David Palmer getting into a sharp suit so he could enter the Russian Consulate disguised as one of Logan’s Secret Service agents. I guess they happened to have a 38 Short suit with 26 inch pants on hand.

Oh, and the consulate? Really, Jack? You really think that’s the best idea? When he pitched the plan to Bill, Bill understated that they “don’t have jurisdiction there.” Um, yeah, Bill, if there’s one person who knows that I think it’s Jack. As always, this doesn’t deter Jack. And why would it? How much worse could a Russian prison be from a Chinese prison?

While Logan’s getting ready in his own room, he looks at a picture of him and Martha longingly. Oh, jesus, just the vision of Martha is making me shudder. I hope she’s off making sweet love to Aaron somewhere. Somewhere far away.

Back at the bunker, we have the climactic scene of the hour. Wayne demonstrates for us why he’s not worried about Tom – he thinks Tom’s just being petulant in his disagreement with the President’s policies which is actually kind of accurate. Reed assures him Tom will be there for the speech, although I’m not sure why Wayne is so hell-bent on this. Does Tom normally blow Wayne kisses while Wayne’s on the air to make him feel loved? Does he remind Wayne to smile and angle his head just right so the light glints off it in a Presidential way?

Assad steps up to the podium to give it a whirl and Reed slips out and punches in the activation code to a PDA that Carson rigged up for him. Assad, ever-alert, notes the explosive liquid running down the podium and sees the blinking tape recorder. He yells “bomb!” just before it goes off but wouldn’t it have been funny if it was just a regular tape recorder? Everyone would have freaked for nothing. But it’s not a regular tape recorder. It’s one that you probably cannot get at Staples. It explodes and it looks like there are casualties. Sure enough, agents are down and so is Assad. In fact, so it the President, whom we learn is code-named “Citadel.” He’s alive, but conscious? Not so much.

If you’re waiting for a final set of split-screens and a last scene, you’re out of luck. We end on Wayne being down and knowing this probably means VP Daniels will take office, possibly just as he’s landing in D.C. (Unless he’s on one of those Keeler-length flights.)

Will Daniels wonder where Tom is? Will Reed turn himself in? Will Jack be involved in the death of another consul general? Will he use Agent Bern on this mission since Bern has experience with consul raids? Will Carson’s hair move?

We’ll find out, maybe, next week.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well... who else thinks that logan'splay isn't kosher at all? that he want's to call in a favor with his old pal in the embassy for leaving him out of harm's way in season 5? as soon as he and jack are in the consulate, logan will say 'sorry, jack'... (that's why phil left the palm with logan's number, to help his old friend birdneck)

and what the hell are the russians up to? some sinister plot that involves 5 nukes, which is harder to accomplish with 3 nukes.. by flying *erhm* sorry, droning them somewhere? playing around with the san andreas fault springs to mind, but that has already been done in 24:the game. too bad.

J... nice review as always, but where are your zany comments and xxx-references? missing kim?

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the last 3 episodes on tape,but I'm really dying to watch them at the moment. Incredible but true,Balthar Gaius is more interesting than Jack Bauer for me now.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Phoenician said...

Yeah . . . sorry I couldn't make a post earlier -- Things have been kinda hectic on my side.

But everything's cleared up now, and I've seen the NEXT hour, but I'll refrain from commenting on Hour 12 and focus on 6.11:

Basically:

I can't stand Reed. Neither Bruce.

I told you doubters that Al-Assad was good (Not sure if anyone doubted that HERE, but my family did, and boy did I call them out.)

Wondering when Karen, Milo, and Sandra are going to show up again . . .

Man, Jack REALLY doesn't like Logan . . . or Consulates.

Buchanan SERIOUSLY had the understatement of the year. Good call on that, J!

Nancy Cartwright in the last episode? Yeah, she was Morris' old AA sponsor. Weird to think that a voice actor from the Simpsons and Kim Possible (amond others) can guest star on 24 -- Just didn't expect that.

CTU still feels weird to me, and I have no idea why still.

Can ANY Palmer catch a break?? (I asked this to a guy I know who works on the 24 set -- I still made him vow he would never spoil anything, even though he already had that mentality -- and all he could do was smile meakly.) Oy.

Looks like Daniels is in power -- Where's Mike Novick and his blasted 24th Amendment??

And I like the Gredenko plotline . . . but I hope they don't forget the vendetta of Fayed and Jack.

That's pretty much it. Always a great job, J -- keep up the great work!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Dave T said...

Yo, J, I've been following your reviews as usual and -- though I don't want to join the growing cadres of 24-haters out there -- I do have to say that I'm not really 'feeling it' this season (to mix in an American Idol reference for good measure). Frankly, in terms of plotting and character development and just downright entertainment value, I think 'Heroes' is kicking 24's butt right now.

It's the halfway point and it still seems like things are meandering to me. I got more interested with the family connection -- not the least of which had to do with the hotness of Ms. Sofer. But Jack's scenes with her have seemed a little indistinct and now Phil's flown the coop. I also agree with Phoen in terms of CTU. Hot Nadia is still just wallpaper and Chloe has been distinctly muted. The White House intrigue -- frankly I'm bored. And the terrorists? Fayed's on an extended lunch break and Gradenko's so 1980s. The Russian consulate guy was no better -- looks like a freakin cartoon the way he sneers.

When I fire up the TVR on Monday nights, I have still been checking out 24 before Heroes. But when the latter show returns end of April, I may just reverse that order and possibly drop watching 24 altogether and just read J's reviews...

12:38 PM  
Blogger Dave T said...

Oh, and another thing, I have to agree with something I read the other day on the EW (Entertainment Weekly) forum on 24 wherein someone said that the torture stuff was just becoming boring. When it was Audrey's soon-to-be ex-hubby facing the wires or a particularly key moment in past seasons, the torture almost seemed to make sense (though I still don't remember a time when somebody said something that proved to be false just to get the torture to stop, which I think would be what really would happen at least half of the time). Now it's just something that happens when the plot needs advancing and either the thing needing to be done gets done (Morris) or the person being tortured spills the goods (Russian consul guy). Ho hum.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Phoenician said...

Remember the time when Jack was messing with Ted Cofell?? Sure, he wasn't actually physically torturing him, and he didn't spill any beans until Jack roundhoused him . . . but that was a time when torturing/interogating almost didn't work.

(Spoilers ahead, even though J has a review for 6.12 to write)

I'm fine with the torture on the show -- last Monday proved my opinion:

The scene where President Suvarov told VP Daniels that they would deal with Markov through the "proper diplomatic channels" became a classic in my opinion, only because a SPLIT SECOND later we see Jack roundhouse Markov across the face!

I was cracking up, thinking to myself, "Talk about the rule book being thrown out! Where's David Weiss from Amnesty Global when you need him! HA! Double HA!"

Excellent directing a timing on the writers and Director Iacofano in that scene!

Okay, I'm done now.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Dave T said...

Just to be clear: I have no theoretical problem with the torture on the show. It's just a show after all and I keep my nutjob leftie politics off to the side when I watch it. But am I just dreaming when I think that CTU used to actually research stuff and figure stuff out instead of just waiting for Jack to phone in the latest lead? It seems like a very occasional plot device has become a weekly (or hourly in show terms) occurance. There are plenty of people that are sickened by it (my wife for instance who simply doesn't watch anymore). I'm just bored by it. Maybe if there was some resonance given to the fact that the tortured (Jack) has become the torturer, I would hang with it better. There was some inkling of this early on with Assad and his knife to the knee trick when Jack faltered, but now that's all fallen aside...

8:37 AM  
Blogger Phoenician said...

In that sense, I do agree with you D -- perhaps that IS one of the reasons I have felt CTU has been so "off" (I could never find the right word for it, but if you look at the other reviews, I've said this for WEEKS.)

As for the torture issue -- I do agree, the torture scenes had much more impact when Jack was seriously suffering after getting back from China.

My ONLY possible "logical" (this IS 24) reason for his recent jumpstart is the fact that most people Jack has tortured now have been involved with Day V (which means they helped kill Palmer, Tony, and Michelle) and Jack still kind of "ticked."

Either that or he just REALLY hates Consulates.

But with the exception of the Consulate scenes, I do agree that torture use and CTU have been "off"

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the "xxx-references" are missing due to the fact that J is getting married soon.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home